[lbo-talk] Signs of hope?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 11 14:00:51 PDT 2003

Grading papers today. I'm compelling to share a small quote from a student in my Soc 101 course:

"People just need to depose the ruling class. There are many more working class people than there are ruling class people and with enough solidarity, their power structure could be toppled."

I recently discovered that this student is a high school student taking college classes to get some college credit before high school graduation (it's called "Running Start" around here). I also want to stress that the Vancouver WA area is no great hotbed of radicalism.

Perhaps I'm naive, but this gives me hope: when "regular" people find out about the gross inequalities of our society, some are quite capable of drawing logical (albeit drastic) conclusions about the need to transform society for the good of all.

Miles