[lbo-talk] re:Margolis: Why There is No WMD Outrage

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 07:48:11 PDT 2003

Thiago wrote:

I wonder: does anyone take the WMD stuff seriously?

*******

There are people, in the US at least, who accept the official narrative without question. This is not surprising since so many Americans know so very little about the world outside of the US or what their government has done abroad. And then there's the issue of the corporate media, etc, etc.

There is however, a more sinister strain of American thought that I've recently become aware of: people who never believed that Iraq was a threat and always thought that the Bush admin was using the WMD story as a smokescreen but who, despite all this, are not the least bit bothered.

They're not bothered because we 'needed' to show the terrorists (a word that has become code for Arab as surely as welfare recipient is used as code for Black) that we're not pushovers. From radio hosts like Howard Stern to folks I run into at the office I've heard this 'who cares about WMDs, after 9/11, we have to take out these shitty countries because we can' attitude many times.

This is the acculturation of gangster morality, 'street credibility' must be periodically demonstrated

through displays of lethal force.

I don't believe that this is the majority view (perhaps I'm silly) nevertheless it is prominent and must be factored into any comprehensive understanding of the American response to the absence of evidence.

DRM