[lbo-talk] Hobsbawm on the Empire (June 2003)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 12:05:48 PDT 2003

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> What should US leftists do about this "contradiction
> between the
> ideology of a world dominated by US-controlled free
> trade, and the
> political interests of important elements inside the
> US who find
> themselves weakened by it" -- the contradiction that
> has been ignored
> by the US branch of the so-called "global justice
> movement"? Any
> thoughts?

I dont know to whom Yoshie refers when she speaks of the "Global Justice Movement". Perhaps she means the ill-named anti-global movement. If that is the case, and I may be interpreting her incorrectly, then I think it is not true that this "contradiction" has been ignored by the Global Justice Movement. Rather it has been ignored by the coterie of "National Leninists" who do not want to recognize the existence of transnational capital. Certainly there are groups of capital that will suffer for this, and it is interesting to speculate on how the two types of capitalists will play off against each other.

It seems to me that the Left should continue to build transnational movements against capital as much as possible and discuss with people the necessity of building these transnational movements. Otherwise, people are going to become cynical and vulnerable to the nationalistic protectionist racist demagogery of a Ross Perot or Pat Buchannan.

The current crisis is expediting a trend already underway, which I call post-informatization...A lot of the software and IT jobs are going to be sent to places like Bangalore, India, China, and Brazil. This has been happening in the past few years but is really gathering steam now. Silicon Valley is just going to become another managerial center.

In response to this, I am hearing IT and Software workers really starting to talk about forming unions. The bad side of this is that it could easily turn into some kind of chauvinism towards foreign workers in order to "save our jobs".

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"