[lbo-talk] re:Margolis: Why There is No WMD Outrage

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jun 16 15:56:16 PDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I saw an old college friend this past weekend who had just been to a
> reunion at the Kennedy School. She said all the Dems in the crowd (and
> it was mostly Dems, some of them pretty high-powered, given the
> environment) were reluctant to go after Bush directly. I said, "You mean
> they won't call him a liar and warmonger?" She said, "Right."

That may well be true. But the papers are, and that's the important thing. The lying stuff is still front page news (viz. today's Washington Post article about Beers). I think if "yet another lie" becomes the default frame, it will be the media that does it, not the Democrats.

Although to be fair to the Dems, I think it's clear they would have set up an investigatory committee on this (as well as on Halliburton contracts) if they had a nominal majority in either house of Congress. They are really playing with few cards.

Michael