[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 10:46:59 PDT 2003

Well, I defend the scum who do this sort of thing as part of my pro bono commitment. I don't actually see the point in dwelling on the awfulness of their acts post facto, especially if it leads to the sort of philosophy of merely punitive, mass incarceration in horrible conditions. Most countries in the civilized world attempt to direct their criminal justice policies to deterrence and rehabiliation rather than retribution. I am a moral retributivist of a sort -- I think bad acts should be punished even apart from consequentialist considerations -- but the kind of "no sumpathy" snarl Woj emits here leads directly to locking up millions for extended periods, which is counterproductive and expensive. Let's think about how to give people who do bad things enough punishment to deter them and others,a nd enough education, rehabilitation, and job opportunities so that they can be socially useful and productive.jks

k Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:> on Feb. 16, 1961, Mr. Rideau shot one teller in the
> shoulder and neck,
> then ended her life by driving a hunting knife into her
> chest as she
> pleaded for his mercy. He also shot another teller and a
> bank manager.
> The manager fled. The second teller survived only because
> Mr. Rideau
> believed he had killed her.

I have zero sympathy towards anyone who committed such an act - period. So what that he "reformed himself" in the prison. Millions of people work hard to "reform themselves" to get out of their addictions, mental disorders, bad habits and so on, and nobody gives two shits about them. Why is it, then, that a murderous scumbug suddenly becomes a media celebrity when he "reforms himself"?

Such public displays of compassion toward criminals seem to be an utlimate form of elitism that involves fascination with freaks and the exotic. A housewife who "reformed herself" by divorcing her abusive husband, finished college while raisning her three kids alone and working a night shift - too common and boring. A violent freak who killed a few people in cold blood, an then learn the upper-class speak while in prison - now that is rare and exotic - hence worthy to be put in an elite collection of oddities.

Wojtek