[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Wed Jun 18 20:19:20 PDT 2003

At 10:59 PM -0400 18/6/03, Luke Weiger wrote:

>You speciesist, you. (I only partially jest: as Peter Singer has argued,
>this line of argument has little more going for it than that of the racist
>who claims that he should be allowed to prefer his own kind because, well,
>because they're his own kind.)

Except that all human beings, of all "races", ARE my own kind. The same can't be said for blowflies.

Peter Singer's views on ending the lives of humans he considers not to be very valuable gives us an indication where his philosophy leads. Yes he seems to be saying, the lives of insects are just as valuable as the lives of humans. Unfortunately the premise for that seems to be a rather low valuation of the lives of humans.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas