[lbo-talk] WSJrnl sweats: can Iraq become another Algeria?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 10:36:27 PDT 2003

************************ This strategy would explain why the Baathists didn't use chemical weapons; the act would have turned the world irreparably against them. The major fighting also ended before U.S. troops swept into the Sunni areas north of Baghdad, where two Republican Guard divisions were able to blend into the population. Now the Baathists can maintain hope of outlasting the Americans, who they assume will grow tired of taking casualties and turn Iraq over to the U.N. ***********************

There is a boneheaded quality to this statement, which is a mixture of:

A.) Desperation (the insistence that those weapons must exist and weren't used for cagey reasons)

B.) A Papal-esque absolution of the Americans of any responsibility for angering ordinary Iraqis - all resistance comes from those damned Baathists

and

C.) A strange assumption that the goal of resisters is the creation of a UN administration, instead of the expulsion of foreigners

The profound depth of the self-delusion displayed, even as the author(s) strive to sound a wake-up call, beggars the imagination. I don't doubt that the Baathists are waging a guerilla war but the insistence that they are the sole source of anti-occupation feeling and action suggests a knumbskullery, which exceeds my descriptive ability.

This is what astounds me about these criticisms of the Iraq occupation from elites, even in their self-corrections they show a stubborn unwillingness to see the situation whole.

These are the 'best and brightest'?

DRM