[lbo-talk] Ambigious Doug

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 26 20:40:52 PDT 2003

[The article that I posted earlier today under this subject contained some typos from the scanning. Most were random capitals, but the penultimate paragraph lacked several lines. Here it is in full. --CGE]

Once we have denied that God is merely impersonal we are under a strong temptation to imagine him as forming intentions or thinking things out or making up his mind, but none of this is a legitimate deduction. For us the business of being persons is extremely closely tied up with the business of talking, of forming concepts and making judgments but there is no reason at all to transfer all this to God; indeed there are strong reasons for not doing so since this version of personality seems associated with the fact that we are physical beings, parts of a larger material whole.