[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 13:03:35 PDT 2003

> The cool
> thing is to embrace the cultural identity of "the
> oppressed," the more
> shocking and outrageous the better, and blast it in
> the face of the
> establishment.

How many are clamoring for the burqa or the clittorectomy? I think this holds only when the 'oppressed' is regarded as quaint, as in Tibet.

There was a PBS documentary on a few weeks back, and I remember the folks at Cursor cited it semi-approvingly, that lamented the introduction of satellite TV to Bhutan. People were no longer wearing the traditional dress and the lamasaries were hurting for attendance. I'd say most viewers would applaud if the Shalwar Kamiz went out of fashion and the madrassas were shuttered.