[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Mon Jun 30 10:51:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 at 1:03pm Willy Greenfields wrote:

> > The cool
> > thing is to embrace the cultural identity of "the
> > oppressed," the more
> > shocking and outrageous the better, and blast it in
> > the face of the
> > establishment.
>
> How many are clamoring for the burqa or the
> clittorectomy? I think this holds only when the
> 'oppressed' is regarded as quaint, as in Tibet.

Some are:

<http://www.africa2000.com/RNDX/femcirc2.html>

Meddling: Reaction to the campaign to ban female circumcision

Sample of messages generated on one news group (soc.culture.nigeria) on one day, 25 January 1999.

Message 1: Hypocrisy

I wonder why they are obsessed with the genitals of the African woman. They have gone from alleging that African women do not enjoy sex, to claiming that they never reach orgasm as a result of female circumcision. I wonder how many of these campaigners have actually been intimate with the African woman. In the past, it used to the African man - the length and diameter. Hmn! I tire for dis pipul-o. See me see trouble-o.

Perhaps Africans should start a campaign to ban the following: Female Breast Mutilation by Enlargement with Toxic Substance; Female Lips Mutilation; Female flat-buttocks Mutilation by Enlargement with Toxic material; and the worst of them all, Female Genital Public Exhibition as Adult or Porn Movies.

Message 2: European cultural imperialism

What is "female genital cutting?" The propaganda machine of the imperialist world has finally scored one on Senegal. Female circumcision has been labeled many ugly names like "genital mutilation", "genital cutting" and all nonsensical terms. The issue is rather simple. European cultural imperialists take exception to traditional values that is not their own