[lbo-talk] Kees van der Pijl

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 27 09:30:17 PDT 2003

> 'We have no idea,' she said (paraphrasing from memory
> now), 'how various peoples would have developed if
> left to their own devices because Roman intervention
> brought self-development to a halt.'

Jared Diamond, _Guns, Germs, and Steel_ addresses that question by comparing societies that were geographically isolated (and thus could count only on sel-development) to those that were not (and thus cross-polinated one another so to speak). His conclusions are that self-development does not lead anywhere but backwardness and stangantion.

"Self-development" is a ruse invented by thrid world nationalists and the "noble savage" intellectuals in the developed world.

Wojtek