Burchill goes ballistic ...

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 1 20:57:55 PST 2003

As a naive and impressionable kiddie in my early 20s, I was a big fan of Julie Burchill. That is before, 1989 or thereabouts, when she renounced her own peculiar brand of Marxism-Leninism. That said, I was always uneasy about the strong undercurrents of racism, especially against Arabs (which flowed naturally from her fetishisation of Jews), her (now ironic) homophobia, her obsessive anti-Americanism, to name but a few of her pathologies.

In retrospect, it seems to me that her _whole_ career has really been about identity politics (including the "marxism" apparently inherited from her parents and later discarded). And as she undergone one crisis after another in her own identity, she has steadily painted herself into a corner. Now I would simply ask: in _her_ own terms, who does Burchill represent? "English working class conservative bisexual women" perhaps? In _her_ own terms, therefore, Burchill is part of a tiny minority who should simply be disregarded.