huh?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 2 10:05:39 PST 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:

> > there's no evidence that anyone in the ruling class has thought like
>> this [about what constitutes its interests] [and therefore it can't be
>> true]
>
>This isn't something you'd say about economic policy. Even though you have
>more respect than almost anyone on the left for the intellectual and
>policy cleverness of economic policy makers, in that field I think you'd
>say that sometimes it at least seems like most of them are wrong. And the
>ruling class understands economic matters much better than they do
>strategic matters; it's what they personally do day to day.

I wasn't claiming that their analysis was correct, or even in their best interests. I was just saying that there's been little obvious dissent among the U.S. policy elite about support of Israel. It's almost universal. Even among the pundit class - who besides Robert Novak (I'm excluding Buchanan, whose status is ambiguous)?

Doug