Burchill goes ballistic ...

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 10:53:18 PST 2003

Grant Lee wrote:
> As a naive and impressionable kiddie in my early 20s, I was a big
> fan of Julie Burchill. That is before, 1989 or thereabouts, when she
> renounced her own peculiar brand of Marxism-Leninism. That said,
> I was always uneasy about the strong undercurrents of racism,
> especially against Arabs (which flowed naturally from her fetishisation
> of Jews), her (now ironic) homophobia, her obsessive anti-
> Americanism, to name but a few of her pathologies.

And advocacy of the death penalty. When I was in London last March, she had a piece in the Guardian on how supporting state executions is actually a form of solidarity with the working class.

-- Shane

P.S. kelley was seeking reading suggestions, and I've got another: A Handbook On Hanging. It's a sardonic indictment of capital punishment and well worth the read.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com