Question about Turkey

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 10:53:51 PST 2003

my mangled sentence (oi):

John Mage wrote:
> the problem is an essential concept of parliamentary democracy -
> that if a government proposal of great importance is defeated by
> failing to get a constitutional majority in an elected parliament, the
> government either resigns or changes its policy. that's it.
>
> as for constitutional interpretation (a la the US Supreme Court) to
> cancel democratic outcomes, the President of Turkey has shown
> himself to be (certainly by US standards) an honest and principled
> constitutional interpretor of fundamentally democratic inclinations,
> even in his prior career on the Constitutinal Court. i believe he's a
> major obstacle for them.

Tariq, as I recall, said the executive branch could (legally?) override parliament's decision. He said the Turkish military is for the deployment of US troops and is likely to prevail. (I think this was in the public radio interview fwd'd to the list.) But if the president is how you describe him, then I guess that issue is moot. Unless there's a coup?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com