Not in our name, ANSWER

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 3 19:20:31 PST 2003

Here's an interesting piece of political fantasy being spammed to anti-war and peace groups by the nutjobs who run ANSWER.

In this installment of ANSWER's fantasy that they are running THE peace movement, they claim that at THE anti-war movement conference held recently in London, that "The U.S. was represented by a delegation from the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition." If this isn't yet another desperate attempt to establish ANSWER as THE leaders of THE peace movement, it gets better.

In this post, which is desgined to establish ANSWER's authority over the peace movement (sic), they go on to talk about how "A.N.S.W.E.R. Steering Committee member Elias Rashmawi was elected Vice President of the International Campaign Against U.S. War on Iraq." I've never heard of this International Campaign Against U.S. War on Iraq, but if I am to believe ANSWER, this organization must have some kind of international authority over the peace movement (sic).

It is also interesting that this ANSWER communique goes on to favorably recommend and inaccurate Washington Post article, which of course, puts ANSWER in a favorable light in its misrepresentation of the international peace and anti-war movements as a phenomenon run by a few organizations (run by vanguardist groups).

I have to admit that I found this part of the Post article to be immensely amusing:

"Many of the organizers confess that they were stunned by the size and scope of the demonstrations two weeks ago. "A big part of our meeting was about digesting the shock of the earthquake that was February 15," said Larry Holmes, an organizer in New York for International ANSWER, one of the U.S. groups organizing the rallies. "We were just as surprised as everyone else. But you're seeing a new sense of confidence among organizations. People don't want this war, and they're giving us a mandate to do whatever it takes to stop it."

So, in other words, ANSWER was caught by surprise and they had to "digest" the fact that the biggest international anti-war protest in history happened pretty much without them! An amazing bit of candor from the spinmeisters running ANSWER!

Thank, Larry, for admitting that ANSWER was caught by surprise. Oh, by the way, the turnout on F15 was NOT a *mandate* for your organization, rather a *repudiation* of your organization, its open vanguardism, poor tactics, and everything else that activists hate about it.

It's time to stick a fork into ANSWER.

Chuck0