Israeli lobby

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Tue Mar 4 06:22:02 PST 2003

Well, just be thankful you've never understood the quote. After all, consider the speaker (although for Jesse it represents fairly deep strategic analysis.)

-----Original Message----- From: Seth Ackerman [mailto:sethia at speakeasy.net] Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 6:13 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Israeli lobby

One doesn't have to search too hard to find out why the U.S. supports Israel. Senator Jesse Helms, Foreign Relations Committee Chairman from 1995 to 2001, put it succinctly in the Middle East Quarterly in 1995: "Israel is at least the equivalent of a U.S. aircraft carrier in the Middle East. Without Israel promoting its and America's common interests, we would be badly off indeed."

. . .

---

I've never understood this quote. The US has several actual aircraft carriers in the Middle East. Why would it need the equivalent of one?

Seth