Israeli lobby

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:00:13 PST 2003

>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>
>
>On Mon, Mar 3 2003, Chris Kromm wrote:
>
> > One doesn't have to search too hard to find out why the U.S. supports
> > Israel. Senator Jesse Helms, Foreign Relations Committee Chairman from
> > 1995 to 2001, put it succinctly in the Middle East Quarterly in 1995:
> > "Israel is at least the equivalent of a U.S. aircraft carrier in the
> > Middle East. Without Israel promoting its and America's common
> > interests, we would be badly off indeed."
>
>The only problem wiht that idea is that that isn't true. Remember Gulf
>War I? Remember what a big help Israel was? ... It's remarkable how many
>people repeat that Helms idea as if it were true,
>though.
>
>Michael

In a certain sense, Helms' description is true. I remember once hearing aircraft carriers described as "billion-dollar targets" -- meaning that a disproportionate amount of resources must be invested in defending the damn things. Same thing could be said of Israel.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963