The War Party's Fucked.

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Mar 5 11:02:32 PST 2003

There is no face-saving exit strategy. If the junta were to back off now it would suffer a catastrophic defeat, both at home and internationally. This, of course would be good thing, a very good thing, but the junta cannot it allow it to happen. That is why there will be war, no matter how the Security Council votes, no matter what the Turkish government does, and no matter how many people take to the streets world-wide to denounce the madness. The junta has painted itself into a corner, and, for it, failure is not an option. If it is thwarted in its lust for Iraqi real estate and resources by mere public opinion and the exercise of democracy in some raggedy-ass client state like Turkey, it can kiss global hegemony goodbye.

Lou Paulsen wrote:

Even if they are frantically looking for a face-saving exit strategy, they will talk about how confident they are up to the moment of exit, and will then discover the virtues of some compromise and claim victory.

LP