no crips or retards

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Wed Mar 5 11:10:02 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:59:19AM -0800, Marta Russell wrote:

> The person, is of course, a coward not to send a name with the
> comment. Does anyone on the list know how to track the sender of an
> email? Is there some registry or other means?

First recognize that it is completely trivial to forge the email address on a "From: " line. There are other headers in an email (probably not displayed by your mail program by default) that may give more information - particularly X-Sender header and the Received headers which will show an email's path (Received headers can be bogus too, but with some practice forged headers are easy to identify).

Old fashioned sleuthing is the way to go, googling the email address, and using tools like whois to track down the assignee/alocatee of the addresses generating the email. His ISP may have a a standard place where users have web pages so you might be able to guess the url for his and maybe he has some other revealing personal info on it. IANAL, but I would imagine this sort of activity is illegal and called "cyberstalking" in some jurisdictions.

Bottom line - it isn't that difficult (assuming the sender isn't taking cryptographic means to hide himself) for an infosec type but probably isn't worth your time (or money if you hired someone).

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

You could be cursed with the three terrible karmas. You could be beautiful, rich, and famous.

-Tyler Durden