Red purge

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:09:55 PST 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that what decimated the CP in
> the U.S. was not McCarthyism as much as Krustchev's official owning up to
> the reality of Stalinism in the SU.

There were a number of factors operating of course, but one of the greatest successes of Trumanism (a more accurate label for the red hunt than mccarthyism) was the driving of not just CP members but of anyone sympathetic to communism out of the labor unions: i.e., the barring of reds or "reds" from coalition activities. That made a big difference in the quality of the '60s movement, which would have been quite different had there been a significant radical presence in a number of major unions.

Carrol