Red purge

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 13:20:26 PST 2003

Taft-Hartly made it illegal for anyone who supported the overthrow of the US govt by force or violence to hold union office. Is that still the law, Nathan? Seems like a 1A violation. It isn't enforced today if it is still technically on the books, but back in the late 40s-early 50s, it certainly was. Many unions still require technical loyalty oath. My sister's union, the Carpenters, required her to swear that shewasn't any kind of a commie.

jks