The War Party's Fucked.

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 13:47:47 PST 2003

Seth:

If the war isn't directly about oil--meaning direct control of the Iraqi oil fields, cronyism in dispensing Iraqi oil leases, naked blackmail of the EU--what about Iraq as the US's new military outpost in the Gulf, and therefore the US as guarantor of a stable and increasing (due to redevelopment of Iraqi reserves) oil supply? The region's oil would be a means for the US to have hegemony (in an ordinary sense; I don't speak Gramscian) over the rest of the industrialized nations.

Now I'm not saying this will work or that I endorse it; just wondering if this might be part of the actual rationale behind war on Iraq.

Curtiss