The War Party's Fucked

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 20:39:08 PST 2003

John Mage wrote:

>Doug wrote:
>
>> If they lose this one, then the MR/anti-Empire/America rules line
>> will also take a hit.
>
>We will, joyfully, add some qualifications.

Joyfully? Is interimperialist rivalry better or worse than clear U.S. hegemony?

>And, hey, we've been saying that our (collective) task was to make the
>anti-globalization movement into an anti-imperialist and anti-capitalist
>movement. And suddenly, at least as to anti-imperialism...

It's sort of heading in that direction, at least part of it.

>We're printing a neat $9.95 (20% off if you order from our website by
>phone or via the web) book by the wonderful Rajani
>Desai and the Research Unit for Political Economy in Mumbai, India
>entitled _Behind the Invasion of Iraq_ that should be in our warehouse
>the week after next.
><http://www.monthlyreview.org/behindiraq.htm>
>An earlier version is available (free) on the web at
><http://www.rupe-india.org/>

I read it in its original form - a fat version of the typical RUPE pamphlet - and it's a fine document. Somewhere in it - and I couldn't find paging through it a second time - the author quotes an American rep at one of those Iraqi exile meetings in London as saying 250,000 Iraqi casualties would be acceptable. Am I remembering this right John?

Doug