Whence Stalin's popularity?

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Mar 8 23:27:43 PST 2003

I think that, in another couple of hundred years or so, he will be looked upon in the popular mind similarly to the figure in Russian history who most resembles him: Peter the Great, another ruthless, brutal modernizer. In terms of percentage of the population, Peter the Great killed more people than Stalin did. I have little doubt that monuments to Stalin will be going up in Russia in another century or so, maybe sooner.

- -The analogy is excellent, but where are your sources on percentage killed - -(not that I agree or disagree with you. I¥m just curious)?

Alexandre --- The estimates I was given by a Russian history prof were that 25% of the population died under Peter (not necessarily killed by him; casualties of the war with Sweden, famine, disease etc.).