Whence Stalin's popularity?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 06:28:55 PST 2003

The cockroach-moustached tyrant (the sobriuqet is from Pasternak; Stalin returned the favor by sending him to a camp) was a fan of Ivan the Terrible. At his direction, Eisenstein did a great film about Ivan, notably glorifying Ivan's suppression of the revolt of the Boyars; the film is obviously inteneed to be implicitly a condemnation, but overtly it is a glorification both both Ivan Grozny and his successor Josip. Probbaly Ivan is a better analogy than Peter. It's one that Stalin himself saw. jks

"ChrisD(RJ)" <chrisd at russiajournal.com> wrote:

I think that, in another couple of hundred years or so, he will be looked upon in the popular mind similarly to the figure in Russian history who most resembles him: Peter the Great, another ruthless, brutal modernizer. In terms of percentage of the population, Peter the Great killed more people than Stalin did. I have little doubt that monuments to Stalin will be going up in Russia in another century or so, maybe sooner.

- -The analogy is excellent, but where are your sources on percentage killed - -(not that I agree or disagree with you. I¥m just curious)?

Alexandre --- The estimates I was given by a Russian history prof were that 25% of the population died under Peter (not necessarily killed by him; casualties of the war with Sweden, famine, disease etc.).