Next March - against the media

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:48:31 PST 2003

The following is a forward from Znet

> ZNet | Mainstream Media
>
> The March on CNN
> (or Fox News, or MSNBC)
> by Justin Podur; ZNet; March 09, 2003
>
> Jennifer Loewenstein recently wrote
>
> > I've said it myself many times. I need a break from this awful
business I can't watch any more news about Iraq or Palestine. I'm dreading this bloody war and want an escape. Spare me the euphemisms and lies, the blasé manner with which our leaders and their collective media mouthpieces talk about killing and death, the intellectualizing over war costs and causes by people who have never seen or heard an F-16 drop a bomb on a civilian building. There are people --with families, lives, histories, hopes and dreams for the future-- in that building. Get me out of here. I want to forget. Please, turn off the war.

> Those who have the luxury escape to the internet, to sites like ZNet, Indymedia, FAIR, and medialens.org, to find something other than 'euphemisms and lies', 'intellectualizing over war costs and causes by people who have never seen or heard an F-16 drop a bomb on a civilian building.' But most Americans-on whom stopping this war, in the final analysis, depends-don't have the luxury to escape to the internet. Instead, they get their news from television and the radio, and as a result believe that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 and adopt the assumptions that Saddam is the world's biggest danger, that Iraq is the only country that ought to be inspected, that the US is in the business of ousting dictators and installing democracies.
>
> Lydia Sargent wrote:
>
> > So it is time to direct more of our protests toward the media. What
we want is for mainstream media to include peace and justice programming, prepared by the peace and justice movement, in their daily reports. If they do not agree to this demand, we picket their offices, occupy them if necessary, and shut them down.

> [...]
>
> Activists emphasize the hundreds of cases in which CNN suppresses free speech, prevents views from being heard, and acts as a propaganda arm of a warlike regime. There are local teach-ins preparing for the convergence and then teach-ins on site, all of which emphasize the ownership structure of the media, the way news and analysis is produced and filtered systematically in order to benefit the interests of the rich and powerful. Activists prepare examples of the kinds of programming we would like to see, the kinds of debates we would like to take place. These examples are disseminated in the alternative media and submitted to CNN with a demand that they be broadcast.
>
> When the demand is refused, mobilization begins. As always occurs with such large convergences in which direct action (taking CNN over) is planned, the US government prepares. It refuses to permit the demonstration. It creates funnels and pens, brings in thousands of riot police armed with tear gas and pepper spray. It militarizes the city. It disrupts international protesters who try to get into the US at the borders. And it does all this in order to protect CNN.
>
> On the day of the major march, speeches link the war and the role of the media to the war at home, to the role of the media in perpetuating racist stereotypes against black people in the city of Atlanta and in the country itself, to the role of militarization in treating young people of colour as cannon fodder, to the role of police brutality, prisons, and repression in cutting short the lives of so many people in the US and in Atlanta itself. Speeches remember Martin Luther King and Atlanta. They recall the proximity of the School of the Americas, its role in spreading violence and dictatorship (as opposed to democracy and human rights as the media claims) and the growing movement to shut down the SOA. And then the march happens.
>
> The activists arrive at CNN headquarters-militarized, policed, surrounded by a fence, with lines of riot police. A nonviolent confrontation takes place as activists try to enter the compound to take the headquarters over. How will the CNN respond? Will journalists film the demonstration against them? Will they interview activists, ask them: "Why do you want to take CNN over?" Will they film the answer? "We demand that CNN show peace and justice programming. We feel that the CNN ought not to be a tool for the rich and powerful, but a truly democratic media. We feel the CNN shouldn't be lying to encourage war, but telling the truth. The United States bombed television stations in Belgrade in 1999 for broadcasting 'war propaganda', and the al-Jazeera station in Afghanistan in 2001 for the same reasons. We do not want to bomb CNN, but it is broadcasting war propaganda and we will take it over and ensure that it broadcasts news that represents the majority of people. "

How will they handle the confrontation taking place outside their headquarters?