The North Korean "Threat"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Mar 10 07:17:54 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:58:53 -0800 (PST) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:
> Nathan wrote:
>
> ignoring the
> > real nuclear threat from
> > Stalinist North Korea.
>
> Threat? What threat? The possibility that NK might get
> the bomb? That's a threat? France has the bonb. Should
> we worry about the French threat? This way of talking,
> nathan, suggests that NK nuclear weapons might be used
> to attack the US. Or indeed, SK. But Kim Jong Il is
> not insane. He wants the bomb for the samne reason
> everyone but the US wants it -- to deter the US.
> That's not a "threat" that might be appropriately met
> with military force. Or are you in favor of liberating
> NK from its admittedly loathesome dictatorship by
> military force, justa s soon as we get done with Iraq
> and Iran?
>
> Personally, I am starting to think that nuclear
> proliferation might not be such a bad thing after all
> in the era of the Shrub/Rummy/Rice Doctrine (We're
> gonna stay No. 1 by force, but not to worry because
> we're "special.") "First we got the bomb and that was
> good/Cause we love peace and motherhood/Then Russia
> got the bomb but that's OK/The balnce of power is
> preserved that way/Who's next?" (Tom Lehrer for you,
> Catherine)

Arguably, the acquisition of nuclear weapons is now virtually mandatory for any smaller country that wishes to hang on to even a modicum of sovereignty, in today's world. The fact that the Bush Administration is, at least officially, taking the line that the Korean crisis is to be resolved by means of diplomacy rather than by war, is indicative of the wisdom of Kim Jong Il's current policies in regards to nukes. Poor Saddam, on the other hand, gets little from the Bush Administration but the crudest threats, regardless of how cooperative he becomes with the UN inspectors. The difference in the US responses to Iraq and North Korea is so blatantly obvious, that the take home lesson can hardly be lost on even the stupidest political leaders in the Third World. And it is noteworthy that during the cold war, nor afterwards, neither the UK nor France ever saw fit to give up their independent nuclear deterrents. Both countries obviously realized, that the independent possession of nuclear weapons, has over the years, helped them to maintain a certain weight in world affairs that they probably wouldn't otherwise have.

Jim F.