The North Korean "Threat"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Mar 10 07:24:19 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:41:26 +0530 "Ulhas Joglekar" <uvj at vsnl.com> writes:
> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> > Personally, I am starting to think that nuclear
> > proliferation might not be such a bad thing after all
> > in the era of the Shrub/Rummy/Rice Doctrine
>
> North Korea supplied missile technology to Pakistan. Any part of
> India can
> be attacked with nukes delivered by North Korean missiles. We don't
> need
> proliferation. We need nuclear disarmament.

Arguably, India would have attacked and overrun Pakistan during the last crisis between the two countries, over a year ago. That didn't happen, at least in part, due to the fact that the two countries are nuclear powers. I don't see nuclear disarmament happening in the Indian subcontinent without a genuine settlement of the issues (i.e. Kashmir) that have kept the two countries at odds with each over for the past half-century. In the mean time, the the possession of nukes by the two countries may help deter them from going to war with one another.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com