The North Korean "Threat"

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Mar 10 10:19:40 PST 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> Arguably, India would have attacked and overrun Pakistan
> during the last crisis between the two countries, over a
> year ago. That didn't happen, at least in part, due to the
> fact that the two countries are nuclear powers. I don't see
> nuclear disarmament happening in the Indian subcontinent
> without a genuine settlement of the issues (i.e. Kashmir) that
> have kept the two countries at odds with each over for the past
> half-century.

Even if Kashmir issue is solved, there won't be any nuclear disarmament in South Asia. India decided to go nuclear after China acquired nukes and not because of Kashmir question.

> In the mean time, the the possession of nukes
> by the two countries may help deter them from
> going to war with one another.

Not necessarily. Limited conventional war is possible. Kargil war was such war. It can happen in future. Nuclear blackmail another posibility.

Ulhas