The North Korean "Threat"

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 11 07:42:09 PST 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> But any future conventional wars between India and Pakistan
> will most likely be limited. And that is something that
> works to Pakistan's favor since in an all-out conventional
> war, India's armed forces would most likely overwhelm
> Pakistan's.

That's right. India doesn't need nuclear weapons to deal with Pakistan. But the presence of nuclear weapons makes even limited conventional wars risky and unpredictable. Pakistan doesn't believe in "No first use" pledge.

> An Indian subcontinent version of MAD
> may help to prevent any more all-out wars in the subcontinent
> for the foreseeable future.

The likely minimum consequences of an all out nuclear exchange in South Asia at present time are:

Pakistan will cease to exist.(i.e.150 million dead).(There are still "Marxists" believing that India is semi-feudal and semi-colonial in nature !). India's two largest cities will be wiped out, i.e. about 25-30 million dead. I don't see how anyone on the Left could tolerate that kind of destruction or risk of such destruction.

Ulhas