IDS prays for British army

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Mar 13 06:36:10 PST 2003

This is the signal that Blair has decided to go to war

>The leader of the British opposition, Iain Duncan Smith, met Mr Blair on
>Thursday morning and said he had been told a "second resolution is now
>probably less likely than at any time before".
>
>Mr Duncan Smith reported the prime minister as blaming the "intransigence"
>of France in rejecting Britain's efforts to find a compromise second UN
>resolution..
>
>"That, and to a lesser extent the Russians, has meant that unaligned
>nations are finding it difficult to make a decision because if it is going
>to be vetoed anyway they are saying 'so what'," said Mr Duncan Smith.
>
>"That means essentially military action has become more likely and with
>that in mind our thoughts and prayers and I'm sure those of everybody and
>those of my party are with our forces and their families at this time."

The unwritten British constitution is that at times of crisis they transcend the two party system to preserve privilege, power, including the oppression and exploitation based on that power. So as Blair's own political position crumbles, he ostentatiously calls in the Leader of "Her Majesty's Loyal" Opposition.

He actually gets Ian Duncan Smith, to do the job of preparing public opinion for the total failure of Blair's strategy of bridging the gap between the US unilateralists and the UN, and to put the blame on the wicked French. The argument is that as Blair said the only veto he would ignore is an unreasonable one, the French have got to be made to appear unreasonable.

IDS cannot signal any disquiet. Indeed his only initiative can be to appear statemanlike and pray for "our troops" - a signal that they are about to be sent into war.

While Tony can give thanks that IDS is so willing to be used this way.

Meanwhile the BBC has just pulled a poll from its website asking

Who do you agree with on Iraq?

US and UK

France and Russia

This was running at almost 60% in favour of France and Russia at some 60,000 votes

The counter has now been reset to 1010 and the score is exactly 50 50.

A triumph to the British sense of fair play.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2845867.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_TP_vote_resolution_10_03_2003

Mind you as a check again with another 170 votes cast, France and Russian seem to be gaining again.

Somebody must be praying for the Iraqis.

Chris Burford London