Perle to sue Hersh

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 07:17:25 PST 2003

--- Jeet Heer <jeet at sturdynet.com> wrote:
> Apparantly, he'll use a British court because it
> would be difficult to make his case in a US court,
> where he would have to prove a malicious intent to
> deceive.

Actually the standard is reckless indifference to the truth. It's called "constitutional malice," but "malice" is a term of art.

I always thought conservatives hated
> frivilous lawsuits...

Hey, it's not frivolous if you can win! Though just now, I am not sure that I'd be inclined to bet on a British judge, if I were Perle, even with the relaxed standard for British defamation suits.

jks

http://daily.nysun.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMail&Type=text/html&Path=NYS/2003/03/12&ID=Ar00200