Query: recent personal debt figures?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 13 15:34:59 PST 2003

Diane Monaco wrote:

>Can someone possibly direct me to more recent "personal debt"
>(credit card, consumer/auto loans) figures for the US, which must be
>1-2 trillion (US$) by now? I believe I read a Fed brief/memo on
>personal debt some time ago, but after a search of the FRED
>database, only percentage values of one sort or another appeared.
>Regional time-series data on personal debt would also be useful.

I don't think regional series exist, though you might be able to get them out of the Survey of Consumer Finances raw data. Historical nonmortgage debt is reported at <http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/g19/hist/>. The latest is about $1.7 trillion. You can get the whole picture via the flow of funds accounts <http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/Z1/>. The historical flow of funds data is voluminous and complex (I should say "are," since the Fed treats data as plural), but if you're looking just for recent numbers, get the latest release in PDF form.

Doug