Query: recent personal debt figures?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Mar 13 15:41:27 PST 2003

I've been wondering about these numbers. On the one hand, they seem high. But on the other hand, the average personal debt has recently eclipsed yearly income -- which SOUNDS scary, but isn't this just an artifact of increased home-ownership? I don't know about you, but almost everyone I know who owns a home has personal debt that FAR outstrips their yearly income.

I mean, like, so what? So more people are in that boat. Something like 2/3 of households own their home, so why should it be surprising/alarming that these numbers are so high?