Note to Doug re Powell

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Mar 13 15:42:03 PST 2003

I think it is partly part of the sales effort, and partly self-delusion, or, more precisely, gross overestimation of their own power and influence and underestimation of everyone and everything else. I think they would probably say in their own defence that it was an understandable mistake, even a forgiveable one. They don't understand that the masses have power. They don't understand nationalism. They don't think that the moral factor has any weight ever with anyone. They believe anyone and every country is for sale. And they really believe that generals and bureaucrats and men with millions of dollars to throw around have all the power. I'm sure they believed that getting "yes" votes from Guinea, Cameroon, and Angola would take about 15 minutes.