Note to Doug re Powell

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 14 05:51:28 PST 2003

At 11:42 PM +0000 3/13/03, loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:
>I think it is partly part of the sales effort, and partly
>self-delusion, or, more precisely, gross overestimation of their own
>power and influence and underestimation of everyone and everything
>else. I think they would probably say in their own defence that it
>was an understandable mistake, even a forgiveable one. They don't
>understand that the masses have power. They don't understand
>nationalism. They don't think that the moral factor has any weight
>ever with anyone. They believe anyone and every country is for
>sale. And they really believe that generals and bureaucrats and men
>with millions of dollars to throw around have all the power. I'm
>sure they believed that getting "yes" votes from Guinea, Cameroon,
>and Angola would take about 15 minutes.

I think that more nations' power elites could have been bought off, despite the overwhelming oppositions of the masses they rule, but Washington has gone cheapskate, conduct unbecoming of an empire. Washington offered Turkey only 6 billion dollars, whereas the last Gulf War cost Turkey more than 40 billion dollars. Post-9.11 steel tariffs, farm subsidies, and other economic slaps in the face of the world didn't help either.

***** March 14, 2003

George W. Queeg By PAUL KRUGMAN

...Mr. Bush's inner circle seems amazed that the tactics that work so well on journalists and Democrats don't work on the rest of the world. They've made promises, oblivious to the fact that most countries don't trust their word. They've made threats. They've done the aura-of-inevitability thing - how many times now have administration officials claimed to have lined up the necessary votes in the Security Council? They've warned other countries that if they oppose America's will they are objectively pro-terrorist. Yet still the world balks.

Wasn't someone at the State Department allowed to point out that in matters nonmilitary, the U.S. isn't all that dominant - that Russia and Turkey need the European market more than they need ours, that Europe gives more than twice as much foreign aid as we do and that in much of the world public opinion matters? Apparently not....

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/14/opinion/14KRUG.html> *****

The Bush junta's geopolitical ambitions -- to remake the Middle East, among other things -- are out of keeping with the post-Vietnam US economic position in the world, which can only finance Clinton-style "humanitarian imperialism." -- Yoshie