russian petrol

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Mar 14 01:23:00 PST 2003

jc helary:

i read somewhere (le monde ?) that british petroleum is now nb 2 in the oil business in russia. --- BP bought half of Tyumen Oil Co. for $6 million, largest FDI in Russian history (20% of total FDI, in fact). I don't know if it's no. 2. Russia's largest oil co. is Yukos, followed I think by LUKoil.

is there a possibility that, in case we have an american resolution, in case russia etc vetoes, the eu will have more possibilities to invest in russia ? --- Probably. Germany is already the largest foreign investor, followed by Cyprus (this isn't as weird as it sounds; Cyprus is where the offshore accounts are. This is repatriated stoled Russian capital moving back to take advantage of stability under Putin).

--- i mean, ain't there people in the european elite that consider this veto opportunity as a gift from the us ? --- Dunno about European elites, but Russian gas companies that supply the EU would probably think it a gift from Heaven.