Hollow ring to Sir Echo

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Mar 15 05:56:59 PST 2003

Quoting billbartlett at dodo.com.au:

> At 3:33 PM +1100 15/3/03, Catherine Driscoll wrote:
>
> >I've been particularly impressed by the anti-French rhetoric. God, how
> >embarrassing that even Howard's prejudiced idiocy has to copied from Bush.
> The
> >French have always been "jealous" of America? You know, funny, O'Reilly
> said
> >the same thing almost exactly the same day. I think they're buying their
> papers
> >from the same source. I was waiting for Howard to trot out the "French
> would
> >have been speaking German without America" line, but if he has I've missed
> it.
> >O'Reilly didn't forget to include it though. Perhaps Howard only warrants
> the
> >edited script.
>
> Johnnie is clearly in way over his head. I missed the speech myself, I'm not
> sad to say. Think I was with a bunch of other drunks singing The Wild
> Colonial Boy on the back balcony of a Melbourne restaurant that night. Until
> one of the staff popped his head around the corner and reminded us it was "a
> residential area y'know". That made our day. ;-)

Hmm...The Dan O'Connell? Oh, no, restaurant rather than pub. Can't come at a guess for that one then. I live across the road from a pub now and got to say I'm not seeing a downside to it, but I lived around the corner from the Admiral Hindmarsh in Adelaide and wow that was grim Thu-Sat nights. The pissing competitions on the ivy outside my bedroom window, the teen girls throwing up vodka-and-fruit on my fence, being a convenient distance from fellow drinkers for domestics (but not too far to get back to the bar of course), and the truly grim covers bands -- all a lot less fun than you'd expect. But, really, the noise was never the point.

> The thing is, where the hell are these pollsters finding the people who
> supposedly support this war? I've yet to meet anyone who admits to such a
> position. More and more Australians are openly contemptuous. Way over his
> head.

Yeah. Do you think the march on parliament thing will work? I'm unconvinced. The distance is too much to get enough people for an effective demonstration, surely?

> So what was the "openly anti-French rhetoric" anyhow. He's really clutching
> at straws if he thinks that might get a guernsey.

He said he was dissapointed in the French "obstruction", that it made a "peaceful disarmament" of Iraq less likely (implying impossible) and explicitly said France had always been jealous of America -- its rise to power and its current power relative to Europe in particular.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/