Portland Oregon peace rally - a personal view.

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sun Mar 16 06:00:36 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:16:02 R <rhisiart at earthlink.net> wrote <snip>

quoting me
>>Lastly something I kept running into - middle aged people (some of them
>>late middle aged) who said "I've never been to a protest rally before in
>>my life. But I felt I had to come to this one." I ran into this on the MAX
>>train into Portland, and with people I got into conversations with during
>>the march.

R said

> give this person a sign that says: "Yuppies for Peace."

The point is that there were a lot of people like this - not that young, not that upwardly mobile, and not particularly urban. Most people in the U.S. go through their lives without ever attending protests you know - and that includes most non-yuppies. If a lot of people who never attended a protest before attended this one, it is a good sign.

But there were people with signs saying "Yuppies for peace".

For that matter there one guy with a sign saying "Arrogant Intellectuals For Peace".

Thanks

Gar