A Duty to Disobey All Unlawful Orders

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Mon Mar 17 16:13:52 PST 2003

>Face it, the troops are screwed no matter what they do. If they join in
>the attack, they are participating in a criminal war, which would
>certainly seem to constitute a war crime. And if they don't attack,
>they'll do life as traitors.
>
>Carl

they, of course, don't see it that way.

the point i'm making is that several times yoshie has advocated that they bail out. in addition, others have pointed out that the desertion rate was very high during Vietnam, something we rarely hear about. What we also don't hear about is the fact that there was a support network for these folks. If you want to call for something like this post called for, in my book, you better lay your ass on the line and make sure these guys and gals have a way to get out and someplace/network they can turn do when they want to get out.

you're deluding yourself if you think anyone will just up and decide to bail out.

firstly, the indoctrination that one goes through in boot camp alone is enough to prevent 99.99999999999999999% of all service members from doing it. boot camp is designed to break down your personal identity. e.g., you get drilled to say, "Sir, Private Bunkerdigger has a sandflea in his ear, Sir. Request permission, sir, to itch my ear, sire." If you say "I have a sandflea in my eye, sir." you won't be acknowledged until you say it properly. It is just a very small example of how individual identity is dissolved while, concomitantly, one's identity _as_ a member of the military is built. which is to say, if you expect alternative actions from these guys and gals, you'd better provide them with some sense that they won't be left with their ass hanging off the end of a gang plank.

secondly, if folks are banking on service members' fear of death, that's manipulative bullshit. see Chuck0's page for a good example of how not to be a manipulative asshole when it comes to the .mil.