A Duty to Disobey All Unlawful Orders

Steven McGraw stmcgraw at vt.edu
Tue Mar 18 11:01:44 PST 2003

Here's what I wrote:

>> >How many military enlisted do you actually know personally?

How is this belabored?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=belabored

It's one sentence, so maybe brief, presumptive, inadequate or stupid I could accept, but 'belabored?' I don't see it.

Now that that's settled I shall proceed to belabor the point properly! ^_^

Such callous attitudes toward the soldiery as come from a number of LBO posters betray a defensive lack of meaningful contact with enlisted folks.

Emotional distance of this kind looks to me like strategic spiritual self-mutilation, an adaptive mechanism that lowers ones natural moral resistance to feeding the bodies of the dead and wounded into the grist mill of domestic sectarian politics.

No amount of soldier-bashing makes acceptable the utilitarian calculus of what one LBO poster called "secretly...[rooting] for high casualties among the troops."

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0212/1322.html