Seventy Percent

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 12:17:45 PST 2003

This 70% is a complete artifact of the situation. For the last five months, people have been repeatedly told by the news media: "War is inevitable. War is inevitable. It can be today or tomorrow. It can be with or without the UN. But it's inevitable. You can't stop it. Nobody can stop it. Bush isn't listening. He's made his decision. The war is inevitable. The troops are moving in now. Any day now. Any day now. The war is inevitable. Now we have 200,000 troops there. Now 250,000. The war is inevitable." Over and over and over and over and over and over again.

This does not create anything like a "free informed choice" situation. It is pretty much like being held hostage in a closet for five months. It distorts your mental processes. People have been repeatedly told that there IS no choice about the war. To paraphrase some new age crap, "We can't control whether there is a war or not. We can only control our feelings about it." Well, if we say that we support the war, then we live in a democracy, the troops are risking their lives for a purpose, Bush isn't like Hitler, we don't have to feel like guilty Germans, we can be happy and live our lives. But if we say that we oppose the war, then we are in a horrible situation, we are being made accomplices to mass murder and there's apparently nothing we can do about it. Saying "I support the war" in these circumstances is not a statement of opinion. It's a coping mechanism.

lp