"Saddam's apparatus of terror"willshatter"the whole world view of the left"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 18 22:08:08 PST 2003

Ian Murray wrote:

> Only anecdotal
> to be sure, but, given the Cold War, it may be an urban myth promulgated
> by Goldwaterites, John Birchers etc. etc.

I've searched my memory, and here is the only incident even remotely similar that I can think of -- and it's pretty remote.

At the last national convention of the New University Conference (at which we dissolved ourselves) in Bloomington Indiana in the summer of 1972, on the Friday evening when Jan and I arrived there was some local anarchist holding forth. Someone mentioned the work a friend had done in a G.I. coffee shop. The anarchist piped up: Did she get anyone to desert? If not, he claimed, then her work was pointless. We all mostly stared at him in amazement.

I knew and worked with anti-war activists from all over. This is really the closest I can remember to anyone expressing disrespect for the GIs themselves.

Carrol