Everybody Have A Nice War!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 20 04:49:10 PST 2003

mike larkin wrote:

> Why do I get this feeling this war is going to be over in about 20
> seconds, and that Bush is going to end up making fools of the anti-war
> ("millions will die") movement? The conservatives at work are
> practically drooling at the prospect.

I have argued on other lists against using this kind of argument against the war. In fact I have suggested that such predictions are government inspired disinformation. They can't lose. If the war shows low casualties, they can say, wow, we did a good job. If the war shows high casualties, they can say, we told you so. War is tough, but it's worth it.

But the high casualties will come -- they will just be spread over too great a time to be visible. (Cf. the many post-war casualties among Gulf War troops and the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi who have died in the last 10 years from sanctins and bombings.)

Carrol