Whether the war will be 'catastrophic' etc. (was: Re: Everybody Have A Nice War!

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Mar 20 08:01:27 PST 2003

Another thing is, you can't rule out the possibility that the tactics and strategies they use in the war are being affected by the fact that the global anti-war movement exists. They are going to great lengths in the media to emphasize that their strategy is 'shock and awe against the military', not 'shock and awe against the population'. That's not what Ullman originally told CBS when he was gleefully boasting about 'taking down the city' and so on.

They have the military capacity to destroy Baghdad completely at any moment, but they also have to decide what their political capacity is, and their judgment of that may change from moment to moment. They know that the 'whole world is watching', and this knowledge may cause them to exercise some, dare I say, restraint. Any restraint they do exercise will of course be solely due to their fear of the global 'us'.

Note that their first action was not to launch the blitzkrieg but to gamble on killing Saddam Hussein himself, in the belief (quite possibly unjustified) that the Iraqi resistance will fall apart without that one indispensible man. When that fails, then what? From their point of view there are positives and negatives to having a more or a less 'catastrophic' war, and our own continuing activity has to weigh in that balance.