"Saddam's apparatus of terror"willshatter"the whole world view of the left"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 08:53:34 PST 2003

Reese wrote:

>Presume I'm a gung ho shit military type who thinks everyone should
>own 3 or 4 guns at least. A rogue rightist who wishes to meet "the
>enemy" or whatever so we can lay differences to rest. A fiend, friend
>and foe in one, someone who has lurked off and on for 2 years but
>still doesn't get the lefty perspective, let alone a more radical or
>targeted perspective such as Leninism or Stalinism.

It's not too complicated. Most of us believe in a less violent, less hierarchical, less exploitative, more egalitarian world. To varying degrees, most of us think that capitalism, while preferable to feudalism and capable of generating great material wealth, is based on exploitation, produces alienation and atomization, and threatens disaster in the natural environment. What's hard to understand about that?

Doug