Seventy Percent

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 20 17:52:28 PST 2003

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> >
> >... 70% isn't 90%. 24% opposition at this stage is pretty high, and a lot
> >of that 70% is soft. In other words, it could be much worse.
>
> IMHO, that's straw-grasping, Doug. Much like saying it's a relief there
> aren't Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Come off it Carl. Not only is Doug not "straw-grasping," he is being unnecessarily glum when he says "it could be much worse." I can't imagine it being much better. Just think what it means that nearly a quarter of the population is _potentially_ organizable against the war, EVEN ON THE VERY FIRST DAY.

One really shouldn't even read the polls, they are so misleading for left purposes, but if you must pay attention, the principle is this: every one percent above 5% on our side is a significant positive.

Carrol