Seventy Percent

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 18:06:57 PST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Carl Remick wrote:

> IMHO, that's straw-grasping, Doug. Much like saying it's a relief there
> aren't Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

No it's not Carl. Politically what matters is the underlying support, the level that precedes and follows the spike. That will be the resonance chamber of the news; that will be what decides in a year and a half from now what this all was worth. And that underlying reality is an evenly divided nation that just got dragged into war. They are polarizing the nation, not uniting it behind them.

Check out http://www.tcf.org for a fuller analysis.

I think Doug and Kelley are right that the spike is a predictable illusion that shouldn't be taken seriously. They're not grasping for straws. I think it's rather you who is grasping for cement shoes :o)

Remember the fate of Bush's Dad. And that war was lot more popular, and made a lot more sense, than this one.

Michael