NYC - 7-10,000 protesters in miserable rain (Re: Where Are the Protesters??!

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Mar 20 18:31:43 PST 2003

Hi all, I just got back from five hours in miserable rain doing legal observing where we had something like 7,000 folks protesting (on the conservative side of estimates) at Times Square and surrounding areas. Quite amazing since it was freezing rain the whole time. The cops were pretty damn bad, penning folks up as usual. The twist was when people wanted to leave to march on the sidewalks down to Washington Square park, they would let them out of the pens-- they let only ten at a time leave every minute or two in order to break the numbers and encourage folks to drift off rather than march.

But a good sign for what will hopefully be hundreds of thousands on Saturday.

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike larkin" <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 7:15 PM Subject: Where Are the Protesters??!

I've gone to a couple protests here in CT since the bombing started last night, and the turnout has been low to non-existent. These articles confirm that, outside places like San Francisco, the numbers nationwide are indeed low, so far. Where is everybody?

http://salon.com/news/feature/2003/03/20/protest/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/20/sprj.irq.war.protests.ap/index.html